Other places you can find Claire on the Internet:
- Join Claire and other Canadian kids' science writers at their blog, Sci/Why:
- Find Claire on Twitter at @CEamer
- To see more of Claire's work as a science writer, go to Eamer Science & Policy.
Any of Claire's books can be bought directly from her. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for prices and information.
New Book: On bookstore shelves now!
INSIDE YOUR INSIDES: A GUIDE TO THE MICROBES THAT CALL YOU HOME is my latest kids' science book, and it's published by Kids Can Press. It's an entertainingly illustrated kids' guide to the human microbiome, with great artwork by Marie-Eve Tremblay. (By the way, for more about the importance of great artwork when your topic is basically invisible, check out my blog post on the subject on Sci/Why.)
Wherever you go, tiny hitchhikers tag along for the ride. The hitchhikers are actually microbes --- tiny living things so small that you need a microscope to see them. And every person carries around trillions and trillions of these critters.
Readers will be startled (and likely a little grossed out!) by the many places they live, both inside and outside our bodies. Just as surprising, only some of them are bad guys that cause disease, and many of them are actually good guys that keep us healthy. There's even research currently being done on ways to improve or fix our collection of microbes as a way to make us healthier.
Look for INSIDE YOUR INSIDES at your nearest bookstore, or order it from any online bookstore.
- Book List Updated: The Sci/Why list of great Canadian science books for kids has been updated to 2016. It's organized by curricular topic so teachers, librarians, and parents can find what they want - but easy to browse through too. It's not an exhaustive list, but it's growing. Feel free to download it, pass it around, forward it, recommend it, or just plain use it!
- New Digs: I recently relocated from Whitehorse to the Vancouver Island area. This makes visiting schools and libraries in southern Canada - especially in southern British Columbia - a whole lot easier! If you're interested in booking a visit or event, please contact me at email@example.com.
- Award: BEFORE THE WORLD WAS READY, STORIES OF DARING GENIUS IN SCIENCE won the 2013 Lane Anderson Award for science writing in Canada. Two awards are given each year - one for a science book for adults and one for a kids' book. My thanks to co-conspirators Annick Press and illustrator Sa Boothroyd, and to the Lane Anderson committee.
- Looking for my books? For details about all my information books for kids, go to the Non-fiction page on this website. If you can't find them in bookstores, contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Video Visits: Catch me on the web at TVOparents or in the Celebrate Science 2013 Youtube video.
Photo by Mark Prins
For more information, to purchase copies of my books, or to request signed bookplates, contact me at email@example.com.
If you're interested in having me come to your school, library, or book club, email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.